KARAPATAN welcomes dismissal of terrorism financing charges vs CERNET 27

Human rights alliance KARAPATAN welcomed the dismissal of the fabricated terrorism financing case against the Community Empowerment Resource Network, Inc. (CERNET 27), calling it a clear rejection of the continued weaponization of counterterrorism laws against development workers and NGOs.


“The dismissal of the CERNET 27 case is another victory for organizations serving marginalized communities,” said Cristina Palabay. “The NTF-ELCAC and its legal task force must be condemned for existing to intimidate development workers, disrupt humanitarian and community-based programs, and cripple organizations serving the poor.”


On MaY 15 2026, the Regional Trial Court in Cebu dismissed the case against 27 directors and staff of CERNET, ruling that the acts charged “do not constitute a crime under the law in force at the time of their commission.” The case alleged violations of Republic Act 10168, or the Terrorism Financing Prevention and Suppression Act of 2012.


KARAPATAN said the ruling affirms what human rights groups have said, that so-called terrorism financing cases are often built on speculation and red-tagging, not competent evidence. The group also hit at the use of “professional fake witnesses” in pursuing such trumped-up charges, in the likes of Alma Gabin who was witness to the case against the LCDE. 


“We hope this dismissal paves the way for the junking of similar baseless cases against NGOs and individuals whose only ‘offense’ is organizing communities, assisting the poor, and defending people’s rights,” Palabay added.

The group noted that three of the 27 accused had already died before the case was even filed—underscoring the absurdity and fabrication behind the charges.


KARAPATAN also cited recent related rulings, including the dismissal of terrorism financing charges against Leyte Center for Development, Inc. (LCDE) director Jazmin “Minet” Aguisanda-Jerusalem, and the Manila RTC decision rejecting civil forfeiture attempts against Leyte Center for Development, Inc. (LCDE), which affirmed that asset-freezing and forfeiture measures cannot rest on speculation or politically driven narratives.


According to CERNET’s own profile, the organization was founded in 2001, and has long worked with people’s organizations across Cebu, Negros Oriental, Bohol, and Siquijor to support community empowerment, self-reliance, and poverty alleviation.


“The dismissal affirms CERNET’s long record of service to poor communities in the Visayas,” Palabay said. “Instead of supporting genuine development work, public funds are being used to vilify organizations filling gaps in basic social services that the State has failed to provide.”


KARAPATAN stressed that the CERNET case is not isolated but part of a broader pattern of attacks against NGOs, church workers, humanitarian groups, and human rights defenders. These cases, it said, rely on vague allegations designed to harass individuals and paralyze organizations.


“Communities lose access to health, livelihood, disaster response, education, and human rights programs when organizations are red-tagged and dragged into fabricated legal battles,” Palabay said. “These attacks violate not only the rights of development workers and defenders, but also the rights of the communities they serve.”


KARAPATAN called on the Marcos Jr. government to immediately stop the weaponization of counterterrorism laws against NGOs, development workers, and human rights defenders.

“This victory should strengthen collective resistance against shrinking civic space and continuing attacks on democratic rights,” Palabay said.